Almost Attacked in Prague

Almost Attacked in Prague

I’ve traveled all over the world by myself and experienced very few problems. The worst experience I ever had, however, was in Prague in December of 2005. It was my fourth trip to Prague so I was very familiar with it. What happened could have happened just about anywhere. I still get chills…

From my journal…

The hostel is right off of Wenceslas Square, which granted isn’t the safest place in Prague, but it’s central. I checked in with no problem and went to my room, a dorm room with six beds. Then I went to a trattoria where I put back an entire pizza margherita alone and called Mom. (I was reeaallly hungry.) Afterwards, I returned to the hostel to get some sleep. But first, I stopped off and emailed some people. I sent Pete an email saying that there hadn’t been any catastrophes and that all was well.

That was my mistake. I jinxed myself.

On the way back to my room,  a tall guy, a little drunk, cut me off in the hallway and informed me that I had the “unfortunate pleasure” of being his roommate for the night. He then proceeded to tell me that we would just have to ignore the sexual tension between us. Okayy….I shrugged it off and went to bed.

I’ve met stranger.

I had been asleep for about an hour, and was sleeping well, when the door  opened and he came in. He didn’t turn the light on like I expected, but within seconds he’d plopped down on the floor by my bed and started beating the mattress and yelling at me to wake up.

I told him that I wanted to go back to sleep, but he kept talking and talking about nonsense stuff. Deciding to take the lighthearted approach, because I figured he was just drunk at this point, I just laughed it off. But then things got REALLY weird.

He moved onto my bed and put his hands on either side of my face. When I tried to sit up, he pushed me back down to the mattress. At this point, he started going off on how I had wandered into something that I wasn’t a part of and that it was now my duty to help. I had to say that I saw a man do something (I wasn’t clear as to what he did) and that I had to talk to the police. He kept apologizing and saying that he was sorry that I had to do this, but that if I didn’t he would have to pull my teeth out and burn my face.


So the dude was obviously on something but I was afraid that a) he was high enough to do something stupid or b) maybe I really had wandered into something. As his voice grew louder and louder, he kept beating my mattress and apologizing while simultaneously yelling at me.

The only thing that I could think of was that if I was raped or beaten up, Pete and Nick would kill me for not fighting back. I couldn’t go down without SOME kind of fight.

I’m a polite southern girl but corner me and I turn into a wildcat.

I'm a polite southern girl but corner me and I turn into a wildcat. Click To Tweet

I had my cell phone tucked under my pillow and I gently reached around and grabbed it. Then, in one swift movement, I shoved him off of me and fought my way to a sitting position.  In a reflex, just in case he was serious about the teeth thing, I covered my hand with my mouth when he grabbed my shoulder and tried to push me back down.

“I’m gonna throw up,” I warned him, my mouth still covered. “I need to go to the bathroom!”

He continued to ramble about burning my face and taking me to the police but his grip loosened.

When he moved aside to let me up, I bounded off the bed and flew out the door.  I ran from the room, hoping that there would be people in the lobby, but there were not. The reception was supposed to be open 24 hours but nobody was there. Not only that, but our room was by the desk and there wasn’t another room until you got to the next floor. We were pretty much alone.

There were 3 bathroom stalls by the desk and I made a mad dash into one of them and quickly locked the door. I could hear him in our room next door, still yelling. Not really knowing what else to do, because yelling wasn’t going to help, I called my mom. As soon as she answered I whispered, “Stay on the phone with me.”

My poor mother. She was like, “I don’t even know where you are!” I told her the name of the hostel and she began looking up the Prague police on the internet. I didn’t have my contacts in either so I couldn’t see very well. I could hear him stomping around the room.

Finally, when things quietened down outside, I left the bathroom, still keeping Mom on the phone. I was trying to tell her a little bit about what was going on, but I didn’t want him to know that I was on the phone. I opened the door that led to behind the reception desk and the man who runs the place was in a chair, asleep.

As soon as I opened the door he woke up and I didn’t have to say anything because he could hear the guy causing his commotion. I told him that I was really uncomfortable and he told me to get my stuff and that he would put me in another room. Really, though, I think it freaked him out, too, because I had no sooner grabbed a couple of things and stuffed them into my backpack that he told me to leave it all and leave now.

“We must go, go NOW!” he commanded. He looked more shaken than I felt.

So I moved into another room and left most of my stuff in the old room. I did get my passport, money, and important things.

I didn’t sleep for the rest of the night. In fact, as soon as I got into the new room, I pushed the bureau in front of the door.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *